SMOKTECH GROOVE WARNING!
Derek from Facebook recently shared a story about his exploding SmokTech Groove mod. This was a BRAND NEW mod, merely a few hours old. All it took as a short fall from a dresser to cause an instant short and venting of the battery on the inside.
I believe that this situation is unique to the metal Groove mods. Turns out that the battery on the inside is simply taped to the body. With a small jolt it can come loose and ground out on the body of the mod and quickly lead to a venting situation.
Apart from some burnt carpet, and a ruined mod, Derek is OK. Clearly upset as he should be.
Here is what SmokTech had to say regarding the incident.
Dear All Valued Customers,
Confirmed by laboratory of Smoktech,SMOKTECH GROOVE might have an potential safety hazard due to the design defects.
we deeply apologize for all the panic and inconvenience
After careful deliberation, to be responsible for customer satisfaction of normal use, to keep the brand integrity of SMOKTECH, we’ve made the decisions below:
1) As for the groove that are still at the warehouse of our distributors, pls try to destroy them at the purpose of environment protection and safety
2) as for the groove that are already sold to end users, please do a 100% recall instantly.
3) SMOKTECH distributors can choose any MOD in SMOKTECH current product line and we will send the quantity of equal value.
4) SMOKTECH will pay the shipping from factory to warehouse of our distributors.
5) We are attaching instructions on the best way to destroy the groove.
6) We will stop production of Groove since today.
At last ,thanks a lot for all your support during the past 3years. we appreciate all the advice and comments of the items from all the customers and distributors. SMOKTECH will supply the most updated ,best quality and safest products to the market in future.
Smoktech Marketing Department
June, 09, 2013
Needless to say, i’ts probably a good idea to steer clear of the metal body SmokTech groove until this situation gets fixed by the manufacturer.
Eve did a video on the subject here